Saturday, July 6, 2013

Hiker Introduction: Mike


1. Nicknames?

These are a handful of names that I have answered to over the years, some more flattering than others:  Lil Mike, Mikey, Larth, Weasel, Jabberwocky, Mutton Chop Evil, Pancho Villa, Tank, Captain Sack and Colonel Mustard to name a few.

2.  Previous hiking experience:

Was this a prerequisite??  I didn't think you needed hiking experience to climb Kili, if so, Im screwed.  Is it to late for a refund?  In all honesty, I had zero hiking experience prior to signing up for this adventure.  Over the past few months, I have hiked the Greenbelt in Austin, climbed 2k feet to the top of Enchanted Rock (watch out) and walked countless laps around Memorial Park with my back pack and hiking boots, often being confused for a homeless person.  In July I am traveling to Colorado to climb Mount Massive and Mount Elbert, so that will be a huge test prior to heading to Tanzania.  

3.  What made you want to go on this trip?

Lions, zebras, giraffes, rhinos, leopards and elephants.  Need I say more?  I cant wait to see these animals in their natural habitat, its going to be awesome.  I'm a little excited for the safari.

4.  What legs of the trip are you going on?

Attempting to climb Kili, the African Safari & wrapping up the trip spending a few days on Zanzibar.

5.  What words/phrase do you think you will slightly overuse on the trip?

I think these will cover the entire trip:

  • Are we there yet? How much further? 
  • Sounds great, but Im going to need to take a break before we do that.  
  • Are you sure this is edible?
  • I just want to see a lion!!!!

6.  What is your greatest fear leading into the climb?

If flying half way around the world to climb a mountain and freeze my rear off isn't enough, its probably being eaten by said lion in question #5.  Either that or being bitten by some snake/insect/mosquito that was not part of the 20 shots I had to get to go on this vacation.

7.  What are you most looking forward to after the climb?

Laying in a hammock in the shade with an iced cold beer.  A close second is the ground beneath my feet being level.

8.  What is going to be your "special phrase" for "the altitude is killing me and you all better leave me alone or else..."?

One of two options:
"Dude there?" or "Buddy!!!!!"

9.  Anything else we should know about you?

My vote will always be to slow down!




  

No comments:

Post a Comment